Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How it Started

25 January, 2011

Onward to the second post! I thought it would be a good idea to write a post about how my wife and I started making puzzles and other scroll saw art. Hopefully by the time I’m done writing the post the rain will stop and some much wanted sun will show up.

It all began a few hundred years ago. You think I’m exaggerating don’t you? Well I’m not!....that much! I come from a family full of talented woodworkers of all sorts. It’s in my blood! I first used a scroll somewhere around 12 years old. I tried making a few things to sell at my school’s craft show. I took about a 10 year break before I even touched a scroll saw again.

We both got the idea of making scroll saw art while we were in North Dakota. A nice state but too few people and too many cows J. Our job was reaching its end and we needed a way to occupy our time during the winter season. We purchased a few books, looked at other artists’ work, and did some day dreaming.  We left for Maine where my wife got a job working for the Bar Harbor Oceanarium and I got a job working as an Ultimate Frisbee coach for Unity College. Ultimate is the best sport invented but don’t get me started on that!

I had spare time on my hands and so begun puzzle making. I used cheap pine, started simple, and tried many different techniques. I regained my skills quicker than expected. I wasn’t making them to sell at that time. They were x-mas gifts for family and friends. As word got around that I was making these puzzles, I started getting requests to sell some to interested people.

Our work ended in Maine then off to North Carolina we went. Yes, we did move around a lot that year! Here in the Carolina’s is where we kicked off Entwood Crafts. My wife showed interest in helping me make them. She learned very fast! We upgraded to hardwood, found the perfect type of finish, made contacts, and got busy making and selling. It was a long road but here we are!



The first puzzle we ever sold online remains the most popular. Even at craft shows! It’s the stacking cats puzzle. We have one on etsy right now! It’s a simple toddler puzzle and one of the first puzzles we started making.

It will be interesting to see where we will be in another year's time. Much has changed this past year. The possibilities are very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment